Health Reimbursement Account (HRA)
The only on-going use of Health Reimbursement Accounts (HRAs) by the South Dakota State Employee Benefits Plan is limited to the Our Healthy Baby program and Opt-Outs. HRAs were utilized in FY16 for the one-time credit.
If you have a Health Savings Account or are an FY19 Opt-Out, you have an Combination HRA, which can be used for dental and vision expenses. Once you've satisfied your annual health plan deductible, you may use your Combination HRA funds to pay eligible medical expenses. Complete the Deductible Verification Form in order to use Combination HRA funds for medical expenses.
- HRA Claim Form
- Guide to Filing Claims
- Guide to Substantiating Debit Cards
- Guide to the Benefits Debit Card
- Out-of-Pocket Claim Form
- Debit Card Substantiation FAQ
- Deductible Verification Form
- A Health Reimbursement Account (HRA) is an employer-funded account that reimburses employees for certain medical, pharmacy, dental and vision expenses incurred by employees, spouses and eligible dependent children.
Yes, there are also Combination HRA accounts and Wellness HRA accounts.
If you elected the High Deductible Health Plan with an HSA plan during the recent annual enrollment or were previously covered on the High Deductible Health Plan, you have a Combination HRA. A Combination HRA can only be used for dental, vision, or expenses that remain after your medical deductible is satisfied.
If you are an Opt-Out for FY18, you were awarded $300 into a Combination HRA account at Discovery Benefits.
Your Wellness HRA can be used to reimburse wellness expenses, such as park passes, gym membership, and hunting/fishing licenses.
- Yes. Any remaining HRA dollars can be used in future plan years as long as you are employed with the State. If your account balance drops below $50, it will be automatically closed at the end of the plan year.
- No. This is an employer–funded account.
- If you already have a debit card from Discovery Benefits, you will be able to use the same debit card to access your HRA funds. If you don’t already have a debit card from Discovery Benefits, you will receive one. If you are not interested in using a debit card for expenses, the claims form for out-of-pocket expenses can be filed online, mailed (Discovery Benefits, PO Box 2926, Fargo ND 58108) or faxed (866.451.3245).
- Eligible medical services reimbursable by your HRA are those that are not reimbursable by insurance (or another source) and are medically necessary. This includes deductibles, copays and any co-insurance amounts you may incur. Dental and vision expenses also qualify for reimbursement. If you elected the High Deductible Health Plan with an HSA plan during the recent annual enrollment or were previously covered on the High Deductible Health Plan, you have a Combination HRA. A Combination HRA can only be used for dental, vision, or expenses that remain after your medical deductible is satisfied.
- No. HRAs are only available to employees. If you leave employment, you have 60 days to file a claim your incurred while you were still an employee.