Important: To help slow the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic, the South Dakota State Employee Health Plan will cover 100% of the cost for Telehealth services between March 16 through August 31. Telehealth services are a convenient and affordable alternative that can help minimize exposure for others during the COVID-19 pandemic. If you experience symptoms, a Video Visit can be an excellent way to contact a health care provider conveniently from your own home.
The South Dakota State Employee Health Plan is pleased to offer video visits with medical providers. A video visit is a service that allows medical professionals to remotely diagnose and treat patients through any video-capable device. All members may utilize video visits, which are available from Avera, Monument Health (formerly Rapid City Regional Health) and Sanford Health.
Members can schedule a video visit with a medical professional within minutes for a large number of conditions, including:
- Aches and Pains
- Minor Infections
- Mental Health
- Seasonal Allergies
- Sinus Infections
- Cold and Flu
- Pink Eye
- Acid Reflux
- Please Note: To help slow the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic, the South Dakota State Employee Health Plan will cover 100% of the cost for Telehealth services between March 16 through August 31.
Avera, Monument Health, and Sanford provide patients a wide variety of convenient options and services from the comfort of their own home. Avera, Monument Health, and Sanford offer the service for just $49 per visit. In order to use the video visit service, you must first enter a valid credit or debit card. If adequate funds are available in your Health Savings Account (HSA), or Medical Flexible Spending Account (FSA), you may enter your Discovery Benefits debit card to cover the costs.
If members wish to use AveraNow for their telehealth service, please follow these steps which will allow you to use the service without making the upfront credit card payment.
- Click on State of South Dakota Employee Health Plan
- Enter your DakotaCare ID number
- Enter AveraNow Coupon Code: PHEBHR
This will allow you to bypass entering your credit card number and the telehealth visit will automatically be billed directly to the State employee health plan and the plan will pay the full cost. Note that any prescription drug(s) the doctor prescribes are subject to normal plan benefits, exclusive of COVID-19 tests.
- The payment for the video visit counts towards your annual deductible. If you have met your deductible, you will be responsible for 25% of the cost of the video visit. If you have met your out-of-pocket maximum, the health plan will pay 100% of the cost of the video visit.
- Patients may access this care 24 hours a day, seven days per week. Video visits make it possible to avoid the high-costs of emergency rooms as well as the lengthy travel times. By utilizing these services via your video-capable smart phone, tablet, laptop, or personal desktop computer, you will have the chance to discuss your condition with a qualified medical professional.
- No, any member of the health plan can set up an account and utilize video visit services. These are currently the only providers in the South Dakota State Employee Health Plan that offer video visits.
For Avera, visit https://www.averanow.org/, or download the AveraNow app from the Apple or Google Play stores. Patients who do not have an existing AveraNow account will be prompted to fill out basic demographic info including their name, date of birth, and email to get started.
For Monument Health, visit https://monument.health/telemedicine-appointments/ to schedule a video visit. If you do not already an account established with Monument, you will need to create one.
For Sanford, visit https://www.mysanfordchart.org/mychart/ to get started or download the Sanford MyChart app from the Apple or Google Play stores. Patients who do not already have a Sanford MyChart account will be prompted to set one up.*^
Yes. If you are experiencing difficulty installing or running the Avera Now app, please contact technical support: Phone - 855.269.3551, Email - email@example.com
For Monumental Health technical support, please call 855.635.1393.
If you are experiencing difficulty installing or running the Sanford MyChart app, please contact technical support: Phone - 1.866.808.5274
- No. Patients that log on for a video visit with either Avera, Monument, or Sanford will only be allowed to choose from the medical providers available on the system at the time. They will not be able to put in a request for their family doctor.
State employees should not conduct video visits on their work computers and work phones. Using personal computers, cell phones, and tablets is advised to protect your privacy.
AveraNow, Monument, and Sanford Health utilize state-of-the-art privacy protection on their websites. Your personal info is not stored. Firewalls and encryptions are in place to protect payment info per HIPAA regulations.